Author Topic: Manual for Type R RPM Meter needed !  (Read 19245 times)

simparts

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Manual for Type R RPM Meter needed !
« on: November 26, 2011, 01:28:14 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm new here, my name is Chris ;-) !

Over a year ago I bought the Type R RPM Meter and now I installed it. It works perfectly, but the backlight doesn't work ! As far as I know, this RPM Meter has backlight...
Does anyone have the manual of this RPM Meter and could send it to me ? Also I want to know what the buttons do... We moved to another house last year and I fear, that I don't have the manual anymore :( !

Would be great - big thanks in advance !!!

Cheers,
Chris

Mortos

• View Profile
Re: Manual for Type R RPM Meter needed !
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 04:01:34 pm »
From the photo I'm assuming http://www.sim-parts.com/ is yours? Awesome setup, I'm jealous ;D

I have a Type R tach, though mine lacks the recall function.

Do you have the EL backlight driver connected? Mine has a pair of red/black wires with a connector at the end. The driver plugs into that socket.

For the buttons, I can only speculate.

"Mode" switches between: "Tach" for RPM display, "Set" to set shiftlight activation point and "Recall" to display the measured RPM over a period of time.
"Set" and "Recall" LED's should illuminate accordingly, the "Tach" led on mine illuminates when the shiftlight does during RPM display.

Arrow up to increase shiftlight RPM in "Set" mode and possibly step forward through "Recall" mode. Arrow done to decrease and step back accordingly.

Depressing both arrow buttons at once should clear the "Recall" recording. This may be necessary to start recording, and may only work when in "Recall" mode.

Again, all this is merely guesswork.

simparts

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 06:54:06 pm »
Hi Mortos,

yes - that's me ;) ! Thanks for the kind words ;) !

Also thank for you great help !!! I'm not sure, what you mean with "EL backlight driver" !?!?!?
There was a dual-wire with a connector at the end, this cable was black/black, but I couldn't find any description on the cable... Which "driver plugs in that socket" ? Would be great if you could explain this a little bit.

The shiftlight has a red and a yellow cable - where to plug this ?

Many thanks in advance !

Cheers,
Chris

Mortos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 08:17:40 pm »
Ah, I'm sorry, my mistake entirely. The black/black cable is the EL driver, the red/black is actually the shiftlight.

Both of these have a male plug(a socket with pins inside, in this case) going to the tach. The shiftlight and EL driver have a female plug accordingly.

I'm not sure what wires are coming out of the back of your tach, so I'll list the ones on mine:

Red: +12V
Black: Ground
Green: Signal
Red/Black w/connector: Shiftlight
Black/Black w/connector: EL backlight

The black/black cable is also noticeably thinner compared to the rest of the wires. This is where the EL driver plugs in to supply high voltage to the backlight.
The EL(Electroluminescent) backlight is a sheet of material, not a single bulb. To make it light up, the driver converts the 12V DC you provide into 333V AC(Measured with a multimeter, backlight not connected). This should be harmless as it's only low current, though I wouldn't try plugging it into the shiftlight output as the electronics might not agree with the harmless part :P

My EL driver looks like this:

My phone refused to focus in this light  :-\
Note that I soldered on the switch, it didn't come with the unit. This post actually encouraged me to finally solder on the other to the switch so I could measure the EL driver voltage, as I didn't have wire when I soldered the switch itself. Lazy as I am, I hadn't bothered yet  :-[

simparts

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 10:49:26 pm »
You've got a PN ;) !

Bye,
Chris

hit counter