Author Topic: Alex Alvarez's In-Depth Installation Guide for DLC-247 and Pro-Gauge  (Read 10992 times)

triplea007

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
Do you want something like this, but have no idea where to start?

You've come to the right post.

If you're like I was when I bought my Pro-Gauge and DLC-247 boards and accessories, you'd have wondered:

- How to wire and install the Depo Racing tachometer?
- How to wire and install the KUS fuel level indicator?
- How to wire and install the Dragon water temp, oil temp, and oil pressure gauges?
- How to plug in all the gauges when there's only one ground and one 12v port on the Pro-Gauge?
- How to wire and program a single LED?
- How to wire and program multiple LEDs?
- How to wire a shift light array?
- How to plug in all those lights shown in the videos when there's only four positive pins on the DLC-247?
- How to connect LED displays, how many are allowed on the DLC-247 and where do they plug in?
- Will all the stuff I want work with a single DLC-247 board or do I need to get two?

Now, wonder no more! There's now an in-depth guide answer all those questions, and more.

Although I build my own computers, I'm far from being an electrician. I don't know the difference between a diode and a transistor, and the answer to what makes something "grounded" still eludes me. So, when I got my symprojects stuff, I almost fainted. All I saw was a buch of cables, half of which needed to be cut, extended, rewired and coupled, and ZERO instructions. Sure, there were a few comments here and there on the forum, but there was not a simple "RED to 12v, Black to Ground", "Green to Signal" type guide anywhere.

Fortunately, I had Cristiano's e-mail address and he was more than willing to cope with my every question.

Why he doesn't send installation instructions with his products is still a mystery to me. I couldn't possibly stand being asked the same questions over and over again, year after year.

So, as a gesture of gratitude for his assistance, I promised him I would write an in-depth guide once I learned how everything worked . . . so that he wouldn't have to dance the same e-mail waltz with another newbie again.

And so, my tutorial is ready. It has detailed instructions (and pictures) of common installations. Where the wires go, how to wire and install each type of gauge to the Pro-Gauge board, how to daisy-chain LEDs to make a shift light array, how to connect single programmed LEDs, how to connect multiple LEDs with different functions, how to connect multiple LED displays to the DLC-247 board, what mistakes to avoid, etc.

http://www.triplea007.com/symprojects-dlc-247-and-pro-gauge-tutorial

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:17:19 am by triplea007 »

Nick05

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Alex Alvarez's In-Depth Installation Guide for DLC-247 and Pro-Gauge
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:05:17 am »
Outstanding work there Alex, thank you for sharing this, invaluable tutorial for Newb's like me ;)

triplea007

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 11:12:39 am »
Thanks Nick!

Indeed, I'd have killed for such a guide a couple of weeks ago. I'm amazed at how far I've come, though.

Glad to share the knowledge, and if you're going to get your Symprojects stuff, please click the referral link on my site (or here http://www.symprojects.com/affiliates/jrox.php?id=47). :)

I spent a fortune in this thing and might need to get some more goodies!

Sticky22

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 10:31:20 pm »
Nice dash and nice writeup

triplea007

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 02:15:36 pm »
Thanks! I just added some videos on my blog. Check them out!

triplea007

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 03:03:34 pm »
added one more 3-digit display and a Caution Flag blinking warning light that I bought at my local electronics store. I also improved the finish of the dashboard by adding carbon fiber wrapped surrounds to the displays. It looks very professional now. Check it out:

- See more at: http://www.triplea007.com/symprojects-dlc-247-and-pro-gauge-tutorial

triplea007

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 08:05:47 am »
Question:

I'm having software trouble with a couple of lights... the "behind next" 6-digit display. It works in simdash, but on iRacing, it just shows the dashes and that's it. Current, last and best lap seem ok.

Then there's my new caution light. It does not work on iRacing either for some reason. It works in simdash, but I just had a race, the caution flag came out and the light didn't go on. It's a hard one to test because the only way to test it is by racing and then waiting for a caution to come out.

Are these functions not supported by iRacing?

Any tips Cristiano or anyone?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:46:02 am by triplea007 »

Cristiano

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SymProjects
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 06:11:57 pm »
Please have a look at this document:

http://www.symprojects.com/go/simdata

it displays what is supported by each simulator

regards

Question:

I'm having software trouble with a couple of lights... the "behind next" 6-digit display. It works in simdash, but on iRacing, it just shows the dashes and that's it. Current, last and best lap seem ok.

Then there's my new caution light. It does not work on iRacing either for some reason. It works in simdash, but I just had a race, the caution flag came out and the light didn't go on. It's a hard one to test because the only way to test it is by racing and then waiting for a caution to come out.

Are these functions not supported by iRacing?

Any tips Cristiano or anyone?

triplea007

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 04:56:20 am »
Thanks, that document is very useful.

"Behind next" is not supported by iRacing, so I'll use that display for "best lap" instead.

Now, "Yellow Flag" is indeed supported by iRacing, so do you have any idea why it wouldn't work? It works on simdash when I test it. Just not in game. Any tips?

triplea007

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 10:59:53 am »
Bump

Cristiano

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SymProjects
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 05:55:02 pm »
I will investigate it in the week end

Thanks, that document is very useful.

"Behind next" is not supported by iRacing, so I'll use that display for "best lap" instead.

Now, "Yellow Flag" is indeed supported by iRacing, so do you have any idea why it wouldn't work? It works on simdash when I test it. Just not in game. Any tips?

triplea007

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 03:00:34 pm »
In the meantime, here's a video of the dashboard just for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwExe7nHfKM
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 11:53:12 am by triplea007 »

triplea007

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 12:23:21 pm »
Bump

Cristiano

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SymProjects
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 04:32:01 pm »
I double checked the IRacing plugin and seems ok, I can't find anything wrong.

I will try on their forum

Bump

hit counter