Author Topic: Simple? wiring question  (Read 4310 times)

Racerjay13

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Simple? wiring question
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:48:07 pm »
First i will apologize for asking what i think is probably a simple question.  I am just getting started on building my own wheel and the structural part of it is finished, now for the wiring (which is new to me).  I want to connect an external LED to light up when a button is pushed.  In particular i want to assign a button on the wheel to activate teamspeak and have an LED light up to let me know that the microphone is active.
The thing i'm hung up on is how to make the connections.  I need a 5v, and i assume, a ground to the LED and a Pin wire and ground to the button. 
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks- :)

Mortos

• View Profile
Re: Simple? wiring question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 05:21:30 pm »
Making an LED light up while a button is pressed is fairly simple, provided you have a double pole button(doesn't matter if it's DPST or DPDT, you'll only use the NO side):

Wire up one side(pole) of the button like you normally would to the controller.

Then, connect one lead of the other side to ground, and the other lead to the LED's flat side.

Now connect your +5v through a current limiting resistor(330ohm is a safe value) to the other side of the LED, and it should light up when you press the button.

Using a single pole button is a problem, the input pin on you controller(whichever that may be, you didn't specify) probably isn't designed to sink enough current to light up an LED.
Unless Cristiano has another way, the double pole button is the easiest solution.

Racerjay13

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Simple? wiring question
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 05:37:27 pm »
Awesome, thanks for the reply!  That solves the problem.

I appreciate it!   :)

hit counter