Author Topic: cluster wiring  (Read 2114 times)

mr.w

• View Profile
    • Email
cluster wiring
« on: February 01, 2012, 04:00:49 pm »
So I have been doing some small purchases of parts and I have gathered from what I have been told a 92 Civic dash with wiring harness and a 92 Integra GS cluster, the connectors seem to fit, but how can I find out which pin powers what as I would at this time only want to us the tach, speedo, fuel and temp. What steps would I take to find the correct pins for these gauges? would I use a volt meter? Do I use the Rev burner itself to test? I also will need some LED set up as it looks like the bulbs were removed from the cluster.

Mortos

• View Profile
Re: cluster wiring
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 02:14:47 pm »
I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you, but the cluster you have there has a mechanical, cable driven, speedometer. In other words, it can't be driven by a RevBurner(or any electronic controller).

The rest of the functions should be pretty easy to trace as the connections are all visible.
First off, to find ground and Vss(positive), look for the pins that have multiple traces(the little copper strips all across the back) running to them. Ground should run to all gauges and lights.
Vss will only run to gauges, as everything else doesn't have permanent power applied.
On some clusters, Vss is also marked with a + symbol.

Be sure not to confuse Vss with the backlight for the cluster. The backlight also have multiple connections, but only chains together lights, not gauges.

If you have a voltmeter with a continuity setting(I.E. it beeps when you touch the leads together), it's even easier.
Hold one lead to a screw(one that connects to the blue foil, the others simply hold the gauge in place) on the back of any gauge, and touch the other to a pin in either connector until you get a beep. Note the pin that connects and repeat for the other screws.
The two pins that connect to all gauges are ground an Vss(to find which is which, ground usually connects to every light as well, while Vss doesn't)

On a side note, be glad you have the matching connectors. I have a Civic Del Sol cluster and had to solder directly to the contacts, where the heat melted the plastic. Quite a mess.

mr.w

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: cluster wiring
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 03:40:58 pm »
dam, that is disappointing I was trying to achieve the look of a working dash :(.
maybe I will try pulling out or covering up the Speedo and having my SPI-D and the GIMAX in place
I will try the volmeter method and also wire up some LED for lights to light the cluster.

hit counter