Author Topic: Have a 997 Porsche Cluster - Will the Pro-Guage work to control it?  (Read 9111 times)

zeospantera

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email

I have been dicking about with this thing since 2009 and nobody on any sim or robotics forums has been able to shed light on controlling the servo based gauges WITHOUT cutting this thing up and re-wiring every single one.

I also cannot find a manual describing the pins functions on the back of the cluster and am afraid to run 12V into a data slot and frying the whole thing.

Jadran

• View Profile
    • Email

zeospantera

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks for the replies but neither one has the cluster schematics. I guess the only question remains is what does the Pro-Guage acutally control? Air-Core or can it do servo controls?

Mortos

• View Profile
Neither, and both. The Revburner, and by extension the Pro-Gauge, which uses the same interface, drive the cluster in the same way the ECU or ignition would. The actual mechanism that moves the needles is irrelevant.

Simply put, they emulate a car.
Specifically a car that isn't old enough to use mechanical gauges, yet isn't new enough to use a bus(CAN, VAN, etc..). I.E. one that uses a voltage wave generated by the ignition system to drive the gauge directly.

I can't say this with 100% certainty, but the gauges you have look like they would use CAN bus. As such they cannot be driven by the Revburner or similar devices.
It's not so much a technical limitation as it is a lack of available information. CAN bus systems are only partially standardised, and the instructions they use are manufacturer or even vehicle specific.
They're not publicly documented, which makes emulating them nearly impossible.

zeospantera

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanks for the reply. I have a friend that does ECC and hobbyist RC planes and such that can get the gauges to work with a few arduino's and patience. He gets to put something awesome on his resume and some cash and I get the coolest sim gauges in history. Good trade.

zeospantera

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Just an update. My guy received the gauges and it turns out they are all Stepper motors.. The most precise stepper motors he has ever seen! Germans.

hit counter