Author Topic: Stepper Motor Gauges  (Read 24505 times)

Kenny Paul

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Stepper Motor Gauges
« on: February 28, 2014, 07:12:30 am »
Hi, Confused Newbie here.

I understand the gauges on the website are the only ones guaranteed to work with the Pro-Gauge, but if I plan on going rogue I should be looking at stepper motor gauges exclusively correct?

Thanks!
-Kenny Paul

Mortos

• View Profile
Re: Stepper Motor Gauges
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 09:27:01 pm »
The Pro-Gauge is compatible with both aircore and stepper driven gauges, though not with all models of either.

However, for smoothness, accuracy and a cool-looking "opening ceremony", stepper gauges are the way to go.

Cristiano

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SymProjects
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 06:30:16 pm »
Hello.
What I can tell you is that there is a good chance that the gauges will work.
I can't guarantee it as you might understand but I would give it a go.

I am testing new  gauges from DEPO Racing at the moment and they work very well.
they are not on the website yes but they will be soon.

Regards
Cristiano

Hi, Confused Newbie here.

I understand the gauges on the website are the only ones guaranteed to work with the Pro-Gauge, but if I plan on going rogue I should be looking at stepper motor gauges exclusively correct?

Thanks!
-Kenny Paul

Kenny Paul

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 11:25:48 pm »
Thanks!
The specific 2-1/16" gauges I'm looking at are Marshall SCXs plus a 5" Comp II Tach.
http://www.marshallinstruments.com/catalog/scx_white.cfm

Question from the manufacturer
"If all the 2-1/16" gauges have a 240-33 ohm range will that work for you?
 i.e. 240ohm = 0% scale, 33 ohm = 100% scale.  Scale is linear."

He says they can also provide  0-30ohm, 73-10ohm, 20-150ohm, and 0-118ohm ranges

Any insight greatly appreciated!!  ;D

Cristiano

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SymProjects
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 05:13:31 pm »
Hello.
you should have no problems with the tachometer.

for the other gauges, I would go with the 20-150ohm or the 240-33ohm ranges.
As I said I can't 100% guarantee everything will work, but I think those ranges are quite common.

regards

Thanks!
The specific 2-1/16" gauges I'm looking at are Marshall SCXs plus a 5" Comp II Tach.
http://www.marshallinstruments.com/catalog/scx_white.cfm

Question from the manufacturer
"If all the 2-1/16" gauges have a 240-33 ohm range will that work for you?
 i.e. 240ohm = 0% scale, 33 ohm = 100% scale.  Scale is linear."

He says they can also provide  0-30ohm, 73-10ohm, 20-150ohm, and 0-118ohm ranges

Any insight greatly appreciated!!  ;D

Kenny Paul

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 07:36:19 pm »
coolness!
Thank you!

Avenga

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 08:59:16 pm »
Hi Kenny.

I am just building a dash which is using stepper motor gauges.

Most of them are Autoguage smoke FLD gauges. All of them worked fine except the oil and fuel pressure because they were 3 wire with a +5v reference type sender. Luckily they also do those gauges in the cheaper smoke series which are stand 240-33ohm gauges.

They don't do a fuel gauge so the gauge I am using is a Marshall 2-1/16" 240-33ohm fuel gauge.

I will be wiring it up this weekend so I can let you know if it works okay.

Here is a shot of my work in progress rig.

vinsterX

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 01:06:05 pm »
Avenga, that is a great looking setup!  I am looking to do something similar for my rig, but I am currently in the research phase.

Please forgive my ignorance, but why a Pro-Gauge and a RevBurner?  Is your tach not a aircore or stepper?

I'm looking to replicate a NASCAR dash, so I don't care for the speedo, but an accurate tach would be important.

Avenga

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 12:09:51 am »
Thanks.

I originally brought a second hand Rev burner and I liked it so much that I brought the Pro-Gauge so I could have more gauges.

I decided to keep the Rev-burner because my cluster had 3x60mm on each side so I basically use it as a space filler. The Pro-gauge only supports 5 gauges plus speed and RPM at the moment. I would love to be able to use the 6th gauge on the pro-gauge as something like turbo pressure then that would free up my Rev-Burner. Then I would switch my Rev-Burner to a second speedo then see if I can somehow get it to control a speed controlled fan so I can have the fan speed increase with road speed, it would be great for open wheelers.

All my gauges are stepper motor except my fuel level gauge which is full sweep electric. I don't like the fuel gauge, it isn't very accurate and it gives you different readings if you start from empty or full, The Stepper motor gauges are very accurate and always read the correct value. I did find that they are a bit slow to keep up with really fast cars like open wheel formula cars but they are perfect for most normal race cars.

I have got it all set up now. Here are some photos of it running.

Here is it in Game Stock Car 2013 in a Formula car

And this is in Euro truck simulator 2

Cristiano

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SymProjects
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 10:35:34 pm »
I am working (very early stage) to an expansion board for the Pro-Gauge. it will connect to the IDC connector that at the moment it is not used.
this board will drive a voltmeter gauge, so that could be your 6th gauge

Thanks.

I originally brought a second hand Rev burner and I liked it so much that I brought the Pro-Gauge so I could have more gauges.

I decided to keep the Rev-burner because my cluster had 3x60mm on each side so I basically use it as a space filler. The Pro-gauge only supports 5 gauges plus speed and RPM at the moment. I would love to be able to use the 6th gauge on the pro-gauge as something like turbo pressure then that would free up my Rev-Burner. Then I would switch my Rev-Burner to a second speedo then see if I can somehow get it to control a speed controlled fan so I can have the fan speed increase with road speed, it would be great for open wheelers.

All my gauges are stepper motor except my fuel level gauge which is full sweep electric. I don't like the fuel gauge, it isn't very accurate and it gives you different readings if you start from empty or full, The Stepper motor gauges are very accurate and always read the correct value. I did find that they are a bit slow to keep up with really fast cars like open wheel formula cars but they are perfect for most normal race cars.

I have got it all set up now. Here are some photos of it running.

Here is it in Game Stock Car 2013 in a Formula car

And this is in Euro truck simulator 2

Avenga

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 01:31:58 am »
I am working (very early stage) to an expansion board for the Pro-Gauge. it will connect to the IDC connector that at the moment it is not used.
this board will drive a voltmeter gauge, so that could be your 6th gauge

Hi Cristiano

Do many sims support a voltmeter in their telemetry?

I was just thinking an easy way to have a voltmeter would be to hook it directly up to the 12v power supply. It wouldn't tell you what the car was doing in the game but it would tell you that your power pack was running okay. I guess that would be useful to know.

Mortos

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 07:02:18 pm »

No. In fact, if you check the compatibility spreadsheet there are none.

I doubt any racing sim developers are interested in implementing it either, most of them don't even have rudimentary engine management.

Avenga

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 09:56:35 am »

I doubt any racing sim developers are interested in implementing it either, most of them don't even have rudimentary engine management.

Yeah, that is what I figured.

Even turbo pressure is looking pretty sad with only Live of speed supporting it. I can't really think of a 6th gauge. I pretty much have everything that is supported. Even my fuel pressure gauge is only supported in Project Cars and iRacing, and I don't have either of those so that is pretty much a space filler gauge. I might get in to iRacing but I don't know what the lag would be like from New Zealand, I know they have an Australian server and I do have a very fast internet connection. I will be getting project cars when it comes out so I can use my fuel pressure gauge then.

Cristiano

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SymProjects
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 09:19:53 pm »
I think there is at least one simulator that supports the voltmeter. I don't remember which one, I need to investigate

but yes,  at the moment SimDash doesn't expose that data for any simulator

Avenga

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 09:56:23 pm »
Hi Guys.

I have posted a video of all my gauges in action. here is the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYO5RknUUG4

hit counter