Author Topic: Will Rev Burner run factory Porsche clusters  (Read 7335 times)

MAYAman

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
Will Rev Burner run factory Porsche clusters
« on: February 23, 2013, 09:55:01 pm »
Either 911 or Boxster/Cayman

I've noticed that the Porsche clusters are closed and only have a single large connector of the back right side of the cluster.  Would I need to take the cluster apart.  Apologies if this has been answered before but I did a search for Porsche/etc and nothing really gave me an answer.

Thanks

Mortos

• View Profile
Re: Will Rev Burner run factory Porsche clusters
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 02:08:34 am »
Any modern cluster uses CAN bus. Where in older cars either a mechanical ignition system or an ECU provided(usually analog) signals directly to the gauges, most CAN systems use a centralised computer that receives data from sensors and components around the car, and sends a data packet to the cluster where it is translated to lights and gauge readings.

In a modern car, when you turn on, for example, your headlights, the button you push is read by a controller. The controller sends a message to the main computer, which in turn sends a message to the appropriate light controllers to turn on the lights.
This sort of system is very complex, and as a result very difficult to emulate.

The biggest problem is the lack of standardisation. Every manufacturer uses different instructions, which can vary across brands, models and revisions. This is not something you can find in an owners manual. The relevant datasheet would be very hard to come by.

Unless you have friends at Porsche that can legally provide you with that data(which would likely be considered a trade secret), no piece of hardware but the exact car it was designed for will support your cluster as is.

If you have money to burn and the appropriate skillset, you could try to remove the electronics from the cluster and to drive the aircores/stepper motors with a separate controller.
This still leaves the issue of interfacing to a revburner, but that's a minor issue compared to the rest.

MAYAman

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 02:22:17 am »
OK, then my question is how was this done so long ago?  these are the exact gauges I want to use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXCKsX8oxlU

They seem to be working wonderfully minus lighting which supposedly the new RevBurner will provide enough power for.  Being that I'm a driver and not an electrician I'm looking for people to be gentle with me  LOL.

Remember there are those of us who are good at certain things and not others.  We all have our talents.  We all love sim racing though and I'm just looking to emulate my Porsche virtually.  :)

Thanks for any info.

Mortos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 06:05:15 pm »
Quote from: Youtube
The gauges are air cores connected to a USB controller card supplied by beta innovations, the kit is NOT available any more sorry.

As I mentioned before, it's possible to replace the original electronics with a 3rd party controller. Sadly, beta innovations shut down quite a while ago.

You could ask Cristiano whether the hardware of the Revburner allows it to drive an aircore. Though looking at it myself, it seems aircores need 4 or 5 different inputs, which makes that unlikely.

MAYAman

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 06:20:46 pm »
Sorry I have no idea what an "aircore" is.

I figured I could pay for a plug and play product.  Electronics are not my realm.  I'll keep looking and learning and maybe someone will like to work under contract to get this done.

thanks

MAYAman

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 02:12:49 am »
CRISTIANO I have decided to make a replica GT3 RS race car dash.  Can you help me build this?  Can you google the GT3 race car and look at the dash and let me know what i would need.  Thanks

MAYAman

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 05:28:35 am »
OK so I have the binnacle and want to place gauges in there.  Which gauges are compatible with rev burner?  I know Auto meter are, what others?  I'm having problems finding a 200mph speedo.

MAYAman

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 02:50:10 am »
Sorry guys, not much help here.  No offense but nobody knows what gauges I can use? 

thanks

left888

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 06:04:41 am »
Mayaman, most people here take pride in their rigs that they build. Sometimes it takes a little learning on their part. You have been given a lot of information here and at GTPlanet. To me it sounds like you just want someone to build your rig for you. Wouldn't you take more pride in doing it yourself?  ;)
Game Rig: |i7 960@3.20Ghz|6 Gigs Ram|WIN 7 64bit|2 GeForce GTX 670 SLI|Triple LCD TV 55"@5760x1080|
Custom ZALEM Frame|Thrustmaster T500 with reverse mounted Fanatec Club Sport Pedals|Derek Speare Pro Shifter|

hit counter