Author Topic: Pro Gauge wiring  (Read 51477 times)

twoacejr

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Pro Gauge wiring
« on: May 25, 2013, 07:44:55 pm »
Cristiano, or anyone

I just received my Pro Gauge, is there any documentation for this? I have 5 ProSpec gauges and am not sure how to wire them up. I currently have a Rev Burner running my Tach and all other gauges are just powered up. I am ready to switch all to the new Pro Gauge.

Please help.

Thanks

Mortos

• View Profile
Re: Pro Gauge wiring
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 01:23:14 am »
the signal wire from the rev counter must be connected to the RPM terminal on the Pro-Gauge. the power and ground wires connect to the 12V and GND terminals respectively,

The signal wire from the speedometer connects to the controller’s terminal marked with SPD. The 12V and ground wires connect to the 12V and GND terminals.

The signal wires from the gauge connect to the S1…S6 terminals of the controller. the 12V and ground wires connect to the 12V and GND terminals.

Your gauges will most likely have a red and a black wire for 12V and ground, respectively. There should be a third wire for the signal, which can vary in colour.
As they're high quality gauges, the wires may be marked for function on the back of the gauge housing.

mikeperry

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 03:32:44 am »
If you have the Spek gauges which ones do you have? If they are not can you link me to the manufacturers website. I can help you with the wiring.

If they are the Spek Pro Parts gauges ( http://www.propartsllc.com/ ) the only gauges that work with the Pro Gauge are the Temp gauges, Speed and Tach. PSI gauges are being worked on right now as they have a 3 wire connection and not a two wire like the temp gauges.

As soon as I know what gauges you have I can do a diagram for you to get you up and running.

Mike

mikeperry

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 04:05:04 am »
Here is a quick diagram.

twoacejr

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 06:41:19 pm »
Thanks guys.

Mike,

I have the following gauges:

Spek Pro 5" 11k Tach
Spek Pro 100-300 degree Water Temp gauge
Spek Pro 100-300 degree Oil Temp gauge
Spek Pro 0-120 PSI Oil Pressure gauge
Spek Pro 0-15 PSI Fuel Pressure gauge

I have the Tach working on the new board but am a little confused on the wiring for the other gauges.

I will attach the wiring for the above gauges in the following posts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

twoacejr

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 06:41:56 pm »
Fuel Pressure wiring.

twoacejr

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 06:42:37 pm »
Oil Pressure wiring

twoacejr

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 06:43:09 pm »
Oil Temperature wiring

twoacejr

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 06:43:34 pm »
Water Temperature wiring

twoacejr

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 10:59:58 pm »
Ok, I may have figured this out but I believe I have a problem with my Pro Gauge board.

I have no problem powering up the gauges, same as before I had the Pro Gauge. I took the red/wht wire Pin 2 from the above temperature diagram and inserted it in S1 of the Pro Gauge.
I took the black wire from Pin 3 the sensor ground and inserted it in the Pro Gauge ground.

Configuring the gauge in the software did move the needle but it is VERY sensitive. At a setting of 52 in the config the needle is maxed out. I cannot get accurate 25% 50% 75% and 100%. As a matter of fact I cannot get the needle at 100 degrees (lowest on my 100-300 degree gauge) It won't go below 140 degrees.

I tried it in S2 and S3 on the Pro Gauge and could get it down to 100 degrees but it is still way too sensitive to have the gauges read accurately matching iracing in game gauges. Each single number click up in the software moves the needle way too much making for the difficulty setting the gauge up.

Cristiano or anyone do you think my board may be bad. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks

mikeperry

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 06:18:13 am »
Ok, I may have figured this out but I believe I have a problem with my Pro Gauge board.

I have no problem powering up the gauges, same as before I had the Pro Gauge. I took the red/wht wire Pin 2 from the above temperature diagram and inserted it in S1 of the Pro Gauge.
I took the black wire from Pin 3 the sensor ground and inserted it in the Pro Gauge ground.

Configuring the gauge in the software did move the needle but it is VERY sensitive. At a setting of 52 in the config the needle is maxed out. I cannot get accurate 25% 50% 75% and 100%. As a matter of fact I cannot get the needle at 100 degrees (lowest on my 100-300 degree gauge) It won't go below 140 degrees.

I tried it in S2 and S3 on the Pro Gauge and could get it down to 100 degrees but it is still way too sensitive to have the gauges read accurately matching iracing in game gauges. Each single number click up in the software moves the needle way too much making for the difficulty setting the gauge up.

Cristiano or anyone do you think my board may be bad. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks

The only spek gauges that work with the controller at this time are the temp gauges and Tach and Speedo.

To hook up your Spek Temp gauges you need to use only..

Pin 12 (Ground Black) Connect to Ground on controller
Pin 8 (12VDC Red) Connect to 12VDC on Conrtoller
Pin 3 (Black) Connected to same ground as above
Pin 2 (Temp Input-RED) to S1-S2-S3..ect

When you go to the software you need to set the 0,25,50,75,100 to

0=100 when you set this you need to click the up arrow till the needle moves, that sets the software to send the data starting at that point. so make sure you click it slow till the needle moves and no more after it moves. Then set the rest of the values below.

50=200
75=250
100=300

and on the bottom select the proper Guage and either C or F.

The in the MIN, MAX area put..

MIN=100

Max=300

I have my temp gauges set up and reading right on the money, you might want to reset the gauges to factory default (see manuals for gauges)

If you still need help you can reach me here or over at iRacing under the same name.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 06:21:03 am by mikeperry »

twoacejr

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 05:30:38 pm »
Mike,

That is exactly how I connected them. (understand the pressure gauges not working at this time)
My problem is the sensitivity when setting the percentages in the software. For example, when setting the 50%, which like you said would be right at 200 for my gauge, I cannot get it right on 200. One click of a number is to low and the next click is to high. It is this way for all percentages. Therefore I am not accurate within iracing. Both gauges water and oil do the same thing. I reset gauges back to default which did not help. Also as mentioned above, when connecting either gauge to S1 I cannot get the gauge below 140 degree even if the slider in the software is set to 0.

Can you tell me the numbers in the software you have your gauges calibrated at? Here is what mine are to get as close as possible but not too accurate in iracing.

Water
0% -   17
25% -  30
50% -  37
75% -  44
100% - 53

Oil
0% -   17
25% -  31
50% -  39
75% -  46
100% - 54

As you can see I am barely incrementing the numbers and getting full range. This makes it not as granular as I believe it should be for accurate settings.

Quick note: the Tach works perfect. It takes large increments of the numbers to barely move the Tach needle. This makes it right on the money.

Thanks again for any help.

mikeperry

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 10:58:27 pm »
Oil Temp

0%=25
25%=41
50%=60
75%=79
100%=92

Water Temp

0%=10
25%=25
50%=46
75%=64
100%=76

Now I have the 10 pin versions, I have no idea if that has anything to do with it but that is what I have mine set to.

twoacejr

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 02:01:05 pm »
Cristiano,

Do you think I have a problem with my Pro Gauge? I am fairly certain S1 has an issue since I cannot get the needle to go below 140 degrees on either gauge when plugged into S1.

Also like I said above, I cannot get any of the percentages to be exact. One number is too low and the next number goes too high above the desired percent.

Example: Trying to set the water gauge to 50% I use 37 in the software this is below 200 degrees which is my 50% range for that gauge. (100-300 is the range) If I increment the software to 38 it goes above 200 degrees. I cannot get any of the percentages exactly on the correct temp reading. One number is too low and then next number is too high.

The Tach works perfect. Very small needle movement for each number change. I can make perfect accuracy on the tach.

Please let me know what I need to do. If my board is bad, how can I get a replacement?

Thanks

larrym

• Approved Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 02:28:36 pm »
If the water temp gauge has a warning light is there a way to set the temp to activate the warning light.

hit counter